Monday, November 18, 2013

The Upcoming Group Show...



…at RLS is themed North vs. South. Nothing speaks more to me about the dichotomy of this theme than the topography of trees. But, which trees?
Considering that my last photo trip involved high speed sledding of my car through near endless mud bogged roads, that they were the perfect mirror for my northern favorite tree, and that I kind of admire their steadfast dedication to reaching straight up to the heavens, I chose a groove of tall pines as my southern subject.
The only problem was the mess of lines left from tracing the photo was an abstract jungle of near nothingness. So I painted the negative space of sky, leaves and grass, carefully scraping out each spire of a trunk.
When it came time to paint the trees, each already had its space defined.
Now I have something to work with…

No comments:

Post a Comment