Thursday, January 12, 2012

Presently Working On Presents...

...in my studio. The saw is coming along, with a little extra time spent to make sure the edges of the teeth are completely sealed.


In art school people would constantly remark on the edges of my paintings (perhaps because I was the odd realist out in a markedly abstract school and no one knew what to do with the kid who painted photorealistic clouds on deep gallery stretchers) which has served me well in later years.


Conservatorialy speaking, edges and the corners they form are the weakest point of a painting. If not sealed correctly (and sadly 9 out of 10 are not) the paint will slowly eat away at the edges (oil paint gives off heat as it dries over it's lifetime) or in this case, rust can form and eat into the painted areas.


But because I am a stickler for the details and seal each panel (or saw) front and back from sides to sides, hopefully my paintings will last an extra couple of hundred years (big fingers crossed) with a minimum of conservatorial effort.

- jb boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment