Monday, March 22, 2010

Light

Months ago I shot the series of reference photos for this painting, but was never really impressed with the light. Figuring I could always shoot the scene again later, I started using what I had. It is a view from a path I walk often at sunset, but whenever the the light is perfect, undoubtedly I left my camera at home.


Because the weather never agrees with deadlines, I will be using my color studies to help define the shades and hues. On the back of each, I label where I was, the conditions of light that day, the time (+ or - time to sunset/sunrise), the direction in relation to the sun, the area of sky, and the colors I use.


Luck of the draw and with a little mixing and matching, these three represent three areas of sky just before sunset on a clear day. After close attention to the horizon line and a light wash to create a warm under layer, I have a great base for some lowcountry lines.


-jb.

No comments:

Post a Comment